DIY

DIY Mirror Frame: a Step by Step Tutorial

Mirror frame

While updating my bathroom, I contemplated taking down our mirror and putting up two round ones in it’s place… I do love the look of a round mirror, but I really liked the large size of the one we already had. Plus, patching the wall after I ripped that bad boy down, sounded horrible. Creating a frame for it seemed like my best option to make it work. There was no way I was keeping it up the way it was. With the little hideous plastic holder-clips they put all around it. What’s that all about anyway?

There are lots of different directions you can go when making a DIY mirror frame. I chose to stain it with wood stain that I already had in the garage, but you can paint it a color to match your bathroom. Or choose a fun accent color to give a little pop to the room.  Also, adding little touches like the braces I used in the corners, make it feel a little more finished. Adding large nailhead trim, or…..decorative wood trim! That could be fun! Well now I need another mirror to update.

These are the items I used to make my DIY mirror frame:

This DIY mirror frame is one of those little projects that doesn’t take long, which = same-day instant gratification, baby! My favorite thing. Ha. Here are the steps for completing a wood frame like mine.

Measure length and width of your mirror and cut 4 pieces of 1 x3 boards to size. I’d recommend cutting slightly larger than mirror size, so you don’t see any of the mirror sticking out from the frame. That would not be pretty.

Butt your end pieces together and apply liquid nails to each corner. This stuff is suuuper strong and will hold that baby tight.

Use your staple gun (all you need is a little handheld one. It works like a charm! Here is the one I have and recommend for projects like this). Staple each corner together.

DIY Mirror Frame: a Step by Step Tutorial

Now flip that lady over- Get out your conditioner and wood stain and get to work! Apply your wood conditioner first. This ensures that your stain will go on even and not blotchy. Let that dry for 10 minutes. Then apply your stain. I like to start off lighter than I think I want, because I can always add more stain. Once you go too dark… you’re dunzo. I went pretty darn light on the stain for this because I wanted to keep an airy feel in my bathroom. Nothing too heavy.

How to make your own DIY mirror frame, a tutorial featured by top US DIY blog Domestic Blonde DIY Mirror Frame: a Step by Step Tutorial

These are the corner braces I chose to use. I spray painted them flat black as well as the screw heads. I really loved this extra touch on the frame.

Going back to those little plastic clips that are around the mirror holding it on. I have no picture, but just go take a look, you’ll see what I mean. I unscrewed one at a time and replaced each one with a thin, flat head screw. To give the mirror support with no bulk. Ya hear?

Once the stain and liquid nails was dry my hubby and I hauled it up to our bathroom, applied a good amount of the liquid nails all over the back side and stuck it right up against the mirror. Secure frame with tape until the glue dries so it will stay in place. And, done. What a glorious upgrade!    You can find this light fixture HEREDIY Mirror Frame: a Step by Step Tutorial

How to make your own DIY mirror frame, a tutorial featured by top US DIY blog Domestic Blonde: beforeDIY Mirror Frame: a Step by Step Tutorial

Short post. Fairly straight forward project. But we like things like that, right? Have fun creating your own DIY mirror frame. I’d love to see it!

PS: Loving this DIY mirror frame tutorial? Click here now to see how I created this stencil tile floor!

XOXO,

Kelly

DIY Mirror Frame: a Step by Step Tutorial

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

18 Comments

• Reply Erica

What color/paint did you use on your vanity?

January 18, 2017 at 5:51 pm
    • Reply Kelly

Hi Erica,
      I used Krylon chalky finish spray paint in Slate. Then put a polyurethane satin clear coat over the top. I actually need to write a post about this cabinet!

January 18, 2017 at 6:28 pm
  • Reply Ashley

What did you do about that metal strip at the bottom of the mirror? I have your same mirror and want to frame it in but I don’t know how I will get the frame to lay flat with the metal strip along the bottom. And I definitely don’t want that showing. Thank you!

August 5, 2017 at 9:35 pm
    • Reply Kelly

Hi Ashley,

I put the frame right on top of it. When you put a good amount of liquid nails on the back of the frame, it will adhere right on to the little metal strip that is on the edge of the mirror.

August 6, 2017 at 3:11 pm
      • Reply Ashley

Thanks for responding! And it affect the mirror laying flat?

August 6, 2017 at 4:54 pm
        • Reply Kelly

It is slightly raised on the bottom edge, but that isn’t noticeable at all. Only if you leaned over and looked down inside the frame. There may be a way to remove the metal, I’m just not sure how.

August 12, 2017 at 2:19 pm
  • Reply Heather

Can you tell me about the type of wood you used for the frame?

October 26, 2017 at 7:41 pm
    • Reply Kelly

Hi!
      I just purchased 1 x 3” boards from Home Depot and cut them to the length I needed. They usually have an area in the store with different size boards, called common boards. I believe the one I got was pine ❤️

October 27, 2017 at 1:19 pm
  • Reply Megan

Hey there! What color are your walls?! There’s about 1 millions different whites and I’m loving The Whole look here.

August 29, 2018 at 9:16 am
    • Reply Kelly

I used Benjamin Moore White Dove- it’s a warmer white and really pretty. If you want a real WHITE I love Benjamin Moore’s Oxford White. No undertones but also not stark white either. Good luck!

August 30, 2018 at 10:13 pm
  • Reply Flor

Love your whole look here, my bathroom seems to be similar. I am gonna copy this mirror frame soon, does the 1×3 come out farther on the bottom than the counter’s little backsplash?
    I also had a question about the counters. Are yours cultured marble that you painted/finished for $25? Mine are and the side then connects to a tub with the same marble on the outside front of it, as well as the side splash around the tub and then the whole separate shower is the same marble -which is yellowish in my house. So it’s all touching/connected. Can that stuff you painted the counters with hold up in a shower? Did you do other areas in your bathroom with it or just your counters?

Thanks!

December 2, 2018 at 10:05 pm
    • Reply Kelly

Thank you so much!
      I believe the frame is slightly thicker than the little backsplash. The material of my countertop was not marble. The product I used is made for tub and tile, so it is supposed to hold up in a shower. I can’t recommend that because I don’t have experience in the shower- I only painted my countertop. You could even consider my tutorial on my stenciled bathroom floor and do that for other areas in your bathroom. The paint I used on my floor was an outdoor porch and patio and has held up really well. It also doesn’t have a glossy finish, so you wouldn’t create a slippery shower floor like the countertop product would. Just a thought!!

December 4, 2018 at 1:10 pm
      • Reply Flor

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate the tip!

December 9, 2018 at 9:53 pm
  • Reply Anna

Hello! Can you tell me what you used to spruce up your cabinet?

December 30, 2018 at 12:24 pm
  • Reply Meredith

Can you share the wood stain (brand and color) you used on the frame after applying the wood conditioner?

February 11, 2019 at 10:03 am
    • Reply Meredith

Sorry, just saw it in the item list…Minwax Special Walnut. Thank you!

February 11, 2019 at 10:05 am