DIY

Oh floor, how I love thee. Painted tile!

2016-08-10-011

My master bathroom makeover sort of happened on a whim. I was staring at it from my bed thinking, ‘Wow. That is just HIDEOUS. I really should redo everything.’ And literally that day I started to brainstorm ways to update each part. I have patience issues, so when an idea pops into my head, it MUST happen somehow. I knew that if I thought about it long enough, I would surely come up with ideas that wouldn’t break the bank. Probably my biggest job to tackle was the floor. I considered installing new tile myself, over the gorgeous pinky salmon delight we already had (barf). But, honestly that just sounded like a lot of work having to cut tiles to fit around the many little corners I have. Also, I didn’t want just some generic Home Depot tile that everyone has. I needed some personality up in here! Once I discovered that it is possible to PAINT tile, I knew this was the perfect option for me. I must admit, it scared the living daylights outta me to attempt this. I love DIY… but no one wants their master bathroom looking like a DIY project. When I told my husband this was my plan, I’m pretty sure he thought I was totally insane, and was likely thinking of what flooring to cover it with after I finished.

Here is how I went about making our floor SO amaze! These are the items you will need—->

(Also, if you are searching for this light fixture, you can find it HERE)
First off, be sure to clean your floor very well prior to painting. Any residue left behind on the floor will not allow the primer to adhere properly, which means your hard work won’t last. After your floor is swept and scrubbed and completely dry, apply 1-2 coats of your primer with your paint roller. I had to squish the roller vertically into my grout lines to get the paint in there. You may also do your grout lines first with a paint brush and then roll over the area. I just thought this was easier and worked great for me. I only applied one coat. I felt that it covered very well, but if you would like that extra protective coating, by all means do another!

img_5178  img_6245

Even just priming my floor gave me so much joy, because I never had to look at that pink tile ever again! Yes!! I mean, do you SEE this bathroom pre-update?? Cringe.

I waited half the day to paint over the primer. It dries fairly quickly (good for my patience issues).  Next step was to paint the base color. When I began my bathroom makeover, I started from the top and worked my way down (which I don’t only recommend for you, I demand you do that too!) That way I had less of a chance to mess things up. I painted the entire bathroom first. Ceiling and all. The color I chose was Dove White, by Benjamin Moore. Very nice, soft white. (great for south facing, super sunny rooms)… I say this to tell you I color matched my paint for the floor to match my walls.  Yes, you can do that! The paint I went with was an outdoor Porch and Patio paint by Behr. I wanted something very durable, that is meant to hold up to moisture and traffic. This seemed like a perfect choice! it’s available in a low-lustre, so it’s not shiny at all. I applied one coat of the paint and then some touching up after it dried. It looked so great. This paint is self-leveling, so it goes on smooth and pretty.

8fb9e594-7655-46b7-8c7f-cb51aad77dd0_1000Once this had dried very well.. I believe I waited 24 hours, I got out my absolutely amazing stencil from Royal Design Studio. It creates a big flowing pattern, so it almost eliminates the choppy feel of tile. I also color matched the paint for my pattern with Rainwashed by Sherwin Williams. Love!

I suggest beginning from the top-center of your floor. The stencil comes with a “ceiling piece” that will finish the gap in between the original stencil and the cabinet.

img_5253Now, wait a second! Don’t just go rolling away with that paint! Grab a small stencil roller, and a tray or something with paper towels in it. Roll off a LOT of the excess paint each time before painting. You would rather do 2,500 coats to your stencil, then have a runny mess when you lift that thing up. Your grout lines will remain white, but that’s ok! Do NOT do what I had attempted at first, and Leonardo Da Vinci the pattern by HAND in between the grout lines! No one cares that the grout lines are white, not even you! Believe me! Ha… I’m nuts, seriously. Who even does that?

img_5298You will need to wait maybe 10 minutes in between each stencil, or move to another spot that doesn’t directly touch your previous spot. Again, we don’t want a mess. Doesn’t it make you so giddy to see this transforming??  Now you think this looks like a piece of cake, right? Well, when you get to the little corners and edges where you cannot place the entire stencil flat, it gets tricky. I had my stencil in some strange positions for sure.

img_5305Going around corners takes some figuring out, but the material will bend whichever way you need it to. Just secure the area you’re painting with tape and bend the remaining parts of the stencil to accommodate that section.

Another great thing about using such a busy pattern, is that It’s very forgiving. If part of the shape doesn’t turn out quite right, it’s so hard to tell. You really would have to examine the spot to find something that isn’t perfect.

This project takes a little time and patience, but it’s so very worth the end result! Especially when you see your husband’s expression.. and he realizes how fabulous you are. And, no, you did not destroy the bathroom. You ROCK.

Any questions??? =)  img_6243

Coming soon! Learn how I refinished my bathroom countertops for 25 bucks! As well as how I made the frame for my mirror.

** You can find this gorgeous light fixture HERE

You can find the faucet to match HERE

img_6247

xoxo,

Kelly

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

49 Comments

• Reply candra

Oh my goodness! It’s gorgeous! Great job lady!

October 21, 2016 at 8:31 pm
  • Reply candra

Can you post a pic of the small stencil roller?

October 21, 2016 at 8:32 pm
  • Reply candra

Thank you!!

October 22, 2016 at 12:18 am
  • Reply Hayley Jordan

Could you post the link to the stencil you used? I looked for it on Royal Design Studio’s but I couldn’t find it. It’s gorgeous!

November 12, 2016 at 7:29 pm
  • Reply Royal Design Studio

Hi Kelly! LOVE your new stenciled floor! It brightens up the entire room without being blah white! Would you mind if we shared your pics and how you did it on our blog and credit links to you? All of our readers would love to see it!

November 15, 2016 at 11:27 pm
    • Reply Kelly

Absolutely! I would love that 😃 Thank you for the gorgeous stencil. Let me know what I can do to help!

November 18, 2016 at 4:04 am
  • Reply Holley

Did you do any type of poly top coat? Looks amazing!

December 20, 2016 at 4:47 pm
    • Reply Kelly

I’m so sorry I just saw your question! No, I didn’t use any top coat. Since the paint is an outdoor paint, made for high traffic and wet areas- I didn’t believe it was necessary. I think it will hold up great. My son is always running around all over it and there’s no signs of any issues. Very durable. I think a top coat would be a great option as well if some extra protection would give you peace of mind 😊

December 26, 2016 at 4:57 am
  • Reply Jodi

Would this work on vinyl. Ya think?

January 16, 2017 at 7:30 am

Hi Jodi,
      Yes, I don’t see why not! I would try to stick to the outdoor porch and patio paint I used, for the extra durability. Let me know how it goes if you decide to try!

January 16, 2017 at 11:45 pm
  • Reply Marie

This turned out just beautiful. I’m waiting for my stencil to arrive in the mail so I can do our kitchen floor. Can I ask how your floor has held up so far?

January 27, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Thank you so much Marie!
      It has held up beautifully. We walk all over it daily and our kids are always getting crazy on it, each night at bath time and no signs at all of any issues. Good luck with your kitchen! I would love to see your results.

January 27, 2017 at 8:41 pm
  • Reply biểu hiện của bệnh giang mai ở nữ giới

I am really thankful to the holder of this website who has shared this great post
    at here.

February 11, 2017 at 3:54 am
  • Reply Carolyn Ellis

what kind of cleaner do you use one the floor.

February 13, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Hi Carolyn,

I actually just use a mild soap and water after sweeping. I like to keep things simple. Occasionally a swiffer spray as well 🙂

February 14, 2017 at 3:30 am
  • Reply Andrea

I have a white tile floor that I would like to stencil. Do I need to put down a primer before stencil

March 3, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Hi Andrea,
      If your floor is already white, and you like the color as-is, you can just go ahead and stencil on top of the existing floor. That will save you a ton of time!

March 5, 2017 at 7:23 pm
      • Reply Amanda

I think the paint would possibly come off without a primer but I am not 100% sure. I have been looking this up for a bit and I would be nervous about the paint chipping and so on. A Home Depot or other hardware store employee may be good to ask.

April 20, 2017 at 2:51 pm
  • Reply Kristen

I isited many webswites however tthe auduo qualitry foor audi sons existng aat his webb page iss inn fact superb.
    I cold noot retrain frokm commenting. Perfecgly written! Does you wevsite hafe a contact page?
    I’m hhaving a toygh tije locaating iit but, I’d likee too shot youu an email.
    I’ve gott some ideeas foor you bloog yoou might bee intwrested inn
    hearing. Eithewr way, geat siite aand I look forwaqrd too seeng itt improve ovver time.

March 13, 2017 at 10:51 pm
  • Reply miavisa.com

It’s nearly impossible to find knowledgeable people about this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

March 28, 2017 at 12:04 am
    • Reply Kelly

Thank you so much. That is such a nice complement!

XOXO,

Kelly

March 28, 2017 at 11:00 am
  • Reply Jenni Jeffers

Hi Kelly! I jumped the gun and went ahead and primed and painted my bathroom floors and went to begin stenciling before realizing that my tiles are staggered and not in a line with each other. Help – not sure how to lay out my stencil based on this issue?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Jenni Jeffers

April 3, 2017 at 6:52 am

Hi Jenni!
      That’s great! If you’re using the same stencil as I did- Don’t worry about your tile being laid in a different style. That’s what is so nice about the all over pattern of the stencil I used. You aren’t placing it in each square, you’re basically covering the whole area and the tile lines almost disappear. Just ignore your tile lines, pretend it’s a flat surface.
      Hope this makes sense!

April 3, 2017 at 8:09 am
      • Reply Jenni

it makes great sense but i am not using the same stencil – i purchased mine at Michaels – will that make any difference? You made your stencil correct? Thanks for the advice!! FYI – starting following you IG!! you have an amazing home with a spectacular view!!! FYI – i am @thelittlemendedtable on IG! thanks for your kind help – i will keep you posted.

April 3, 2017 at 8:18 am
        • Reply Kelly

If it’s an all over pattern and not a stencil that you are placing directly into each square, than it will work great. A stencil for individual squares may not work in your case.
          Thank you for your complements!

April 3, 2017 at 9:08 am
  • Reply Kerstin

What paint color did you use for the stencil?

April 6, 2017 at 9:44 pm
  • Reply Kerstin

Oh nevermind I see you said rain washed. Another question. We don’t have a vanity to paint for more visual interest, rather just a white porcelain sink. Did you leave your walls and trim white? I’m wanting to. Asicslly cooy your floor but trying to figure out how to bring more interest to my bathroom so it’s not too much white. We just moved and right now it is a horrid olive green color and oak trim and tan tile floor. I was going to stencil the floor and paint the trim white but them got stumped on the wall color. Ideas?

April 6, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Hi Kerstin!
      I painted my walls in Dove White, just like the floor. I used a satin finish for the walls, and everything blends together so nicely. I personally love the look of white walls in a bathroom. Makes it look so fresh! If you use a fun color for your stencil, you will have more than enough color with the walls being white! Maybe just add a little art piece on the wall, or switch out your vanity mirror for a pretty round one?
      Just ideas! Good luck, I would love to see what you decide to do!

XOXO,

Kelly

April 7, 2017 at 9:18 am
  • Reply woollip travel pillow

Thanks very interesting blog!

April 10, 2017 at 1:25 am
  • Reply advertisers

Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your
    site is wonderful, let alone the content!

April 12, 2017 at 11:55 am
  • Reply Jenn

Hi Kelly, how did you frame the mirror? Did you make this frame or purchase it? I love the way you covered the original house builders grade mirror.

thanks
    Jenn

April 13, 2017 at 4:22 am

Hi Jenn!
      Thank you! I actually have a post about the mirror frame, with easy steps to make it =)

Kelly

April 13, 2017 at 8:28 am
      • Reply Jenn

I did some digging and found that after I sent you the message. Sorry about that, but thank you for responding. Love your stuff!

April 13, 2017 at 9:56 am

Thank you so much!

April 14, 2017 at 1:06 pm
  • Reply Sher

I really like the framed mirror. Where did you get it or if DYI how did you do it?
    Thanks so much!

April 13, 2017 at 4:36 pm
  • Reply Brooke

Your last comment on how it was holding up was in January so I am just checking back to make sure it is still holding up well. It’s beautiful but I just want to make sure it will hold up before I do this to my floor. Thank you

April 17, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Hi Brooke,

Yes! It’s still looking great! I believe the type of paint you use is key. Good Luck

Kelly

April 17, 2017 at 3:34 pm
  • Reply Alison

I did it! And the results are fabulous! Now to tackle the rest of the bathroom! Thank you so much!

April 25, 2017 at 3:09 pm
    • Reply Kelly

So happy to hear that! Yay

April 26, 2017 at 8:30 am
  • Reply Tina

After you’ve stenciled did you have to seal it with something ? What protects the paint from being removed while cleaning ?

May 1, 2017 at 3:00 am

Hi Tina,
      I didn’t seal it with anything. It has held up great and I have no problem with cleaning. I would use a mild cleaner for the floor. The type of paint I used is specifically for outdoor, high traffic areas, so it’s very durable.

XOXO

May 1, 2017 at 11:50 am
  • Reply lore

Did you find that the floor is slippery when wet? The paint can says it could be slippery.

May 5, 2017 at 4:32 pm
    • Reply Kelly

Oh really? I didn’t notice that it said that. No not at all. Actually I find it more of a matte feel than the tile was before.

May 5, 2017 at 7:03 pm
  • Reply Melinda Dooley

I have white small tiles that are shiney and look like they have a glaze, just making sure I can paint these.

May 19, 2017 at 9:08 am
    • Reply Kelly

Hi! I’m not totally sure if there would be any issues with the paint adhering to a glossy tile. You may want to look into the paint information and see if there are any surfaces you shouldn’t use it on. I would think it should not be a problem, but I’m also not an expert. Good luck!!

May 19, 2017 at 9:23 am